We all learn from mistakes. The same should apply to students. While in a college or a university, you must write some essays before graduating as a student. Teachers check a lot of concepts when marking such academic papers. It starts with the structure, grammar, sentence structure, wordings, and organization. The goal of students in school is to perform well in their academic papers. Here there is no room to make mistakes in the name of learning from them. After all, you want to graduate with excellent scores. S, what makes a perfect essay?
Writing a fantastic paper doesn’t happen instantly. There are several phases one takes to produce a good essay. With essays, it all starts from the topic, the thesis, the introduction, the main body, and the conclusion. All these sections require well-crafted content without errs to get the best grades. This means that you must plan your time well on how to write and revise the paper. Use the following tips to produce the best essay ever.
Embrace good writing habits
Good writing habits will save you from committing common grammar errors as you write. When you form a pattern and keep repeating, you get used to doing the right thing. It takes time for a specific behavior to become a habit. Start practicing the following:
- Taking your time – Writing in a hurry will make you commit some common errors. Once you have your essay topic, start planning right away on how you intend to fulfill the whole paper. Avoid beginning your paper at the last minute. You won’t have adequate time to proofread and correct errors.
- Check spellings as you write – When writing, try and use spell checkers as you move. Most students prefer to countercheck such errors after finishing the entire paper. Chances are, you might miss some mistakes, hence delivering work with traces of spelling mistakes.
- Learn to read sentences aloud – When writing and reading in silence, your brain will see the best content when in the real sense, there are several mistakes. The best way to note such errors is by reading the wordings a loud. This way, you will identify errors quickly as you correct them. Your goal is to submit a clean paper, and you can do anything to achieve this.
- Write ideas in a flowing manner – In academic work, teachers expect you to arrange your concepts in a clear flow. Do not mix up points. For example, you cannot explain two or more facts in a single paragraph. Let each section explain an idea after the other. Besides, the ideas should flow freely, beginning with the most vital points to the weak ones.
- Always revise your work – When you finish your paper, embrace the idea of checking it through before submitting it. Even if you believe in your writing capabilities, always make an effort to go through your work. There are hidden mistakes you will never realize unless you proofread your work.
Common mistakes during essay-writing
You now understand what tips to use to produce a perfect essay. So, what are the common mistakes students commit in essays? Check out below.
When writing academic work, avoid starting sentences using the exact words or repeating several phrases throughout the document. Be creative enough and make the paper clean and unique.
- Passive voices
A good essay should be in an active voice. However, some students find themselves putting up sentences in passive voices. To avoid such mistakes, you must earn how to use phrases, subjects, verbs, among others, in a sentence. If you experience difficulties with passive and active voice, seek more help from the teacher or your fellow students.